Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua has announced Tuesday, February 11 as a National Holiday in honour of the late retired President Daniel Arap Moi.
“The cabinet Secretary for Interior on the recommendation of the steering committee has declared Tuesday, the 11th day of February, 2020 a public holiday for general observance throughout the Republic of Kenya,” He said
The same was relayed through a special Gazette dated 6th Februart 2020.
He will be interred at his Kabarak home on Wednesday, February 12 and will be accorded a State Funeral, with all appropriate Civilian and Full Military Honours being rendered and observed.
Here is the breakdown of the activities between now and the day Moi will be laid to rest:
- The body of the late Mzee Moi will lie in parliament on Saturday, February 8, 2020, to Monday, February 10, 2020.
- President Uhuru Kenyatta will on Saturday lead the nation in viewing the body.
- To enable every Kenyan to participate in the celebration of the life of the late President Moi, Interior CS Fred Matiang’i has declared February 11, 2020, a public holiday.
- The former Head of State will be accorded full military ceremonial honours including a 19-gun-salute.
- Mzee Moi will be interred at his Kabarak Home on Wednesday, February 12, 2020.