A family in Migori County that had been reported as having 48 of its members infected with the coronavirus now says its only about 20 of them who have so far been confirmed to be COVID-19 positive.
“So far the report we have from the Ministry of Health, especially those who were tested here, is that they are not more than 20,” said Advocate Gordon Ogola, who is a member of the family.
Some of the infected family members are admitted at isolation facilities in Migori.
Ogola, who was speaking on Wednesday as his brother who succumbed to the virus was being buried, further disclosed that their mother is admitted in the ICU battling COVID-19.
As posted by Citizen Digital, the family stated that 48 members of the family had been picked up for testing and not all results are out.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe indicated that the chain of transmission in the said family was triggered by of one them who travelled to Migori from Nairobi, despite advice from the Health Ministry on people living in the Capital, which is the country’s epicentre for the disease, to avoid unnecessary travel upcountry.
The Health CS added that another person of the same family moved from Nairobi to Siaya where he infected his mother and others with the disease.
The said person then brought his mother to Nairobi but he succumbed to the disease while his mother is still undergoing treatment for the virus.