Class Five pupil dies after choking on mandazi


A class Five pupil at Onyalo Primary School in Suna East, Migori County, died after a piece of mandazi got stuck in his throat.

Suna Central Location Acting Chief Caleb Ombura said the boy was pronounced dead on arrival at Migori Level Four Hospital.

Mr. Ombura said they suspect the clogging caused by the mandazi led to the boy’s death, however stating that they are still waiting for the official autopsy report.

According to Didan Odhiambo, Onyalo Primary School headteacher, he was in class when he was informed about the pupil who had developed complications after a piece of mandazi clogged his throat.

Mr. Odhiambo said the pupil was surrounded by fellow pupils during break time asking for a piece of his mandazi when he decided to swallow it whole.

He said the pupil was immediately hurried to the hospital by two teachers but unfortunately passed on before receiving treatment.