At least 16 governors have been locked out of their offices in Nairobi County over rent arrears and expiry of leases.
The affected governors don’t have offices to operate from after the landlord ordered them to vacate the offices at Delta House.
Affected county offices include that of Baringo, Bungoma, Nyeri, Mombasa, Tharaka Nithi, Migori, Mandera, Turkana, Kirinyaga, Samburu, Kisumu, Lamu, Kitui, Isiolo and Vihiga.
A letter from Knight Frank dated 31st January 2020 stated that the lease between the Council of Governors (CoG) and the landlord was coming to an end as per the agreement.
Please note the lease between the CoG and the landlord is coming to an end at the midnight of January 31, 2020. In compliance with the lease agreement, the Council of Governors will hand over back the premises to the landlord
The letter notes that the counties have respective arrears as follows:
- Baringo County – Ksh 2.6 million
- Bungoma County – Ksh 2.2 million
- Nyeri County – Ksh 2.2 million
- Mombasa County – Ksh 5 million
- Thara Nithi County – Ksh 1.4 million
- Migori County – Ksh 2.6 million
- Mandera County – Ksh 2.2 million
- Vihiga County – Ksh 3.2 million
- Kirinyaga County – Ksh 411,309
- Samburu County – Ksh 3.2 million
- Kisumu County – Ksh 2.7 million
- Kitui County – Ksh 6.2 million
- Isiolo County – Ksh 4 million