The Nairobi county government has “disposed” of 97 unclaimed bodies at the Mbagathi Hospital after obtaining a court order. Concerns have been raised over the high number of unclaimed bodies have been in the morgue since 2017.
The unclaimed bodies of 56 males and 41 females had been uncollected were buried in a mass grave at Lang’ata cemetery
The court order was issued on October 16, 2019 by chief magistrate R. Oganyo of the city court.
The Public Health Act recommends that a body should be removed from a mortuary within two weeks and thereafter be disposed of.
If the bodies are not identified the county seeks court permission to get rid of them.
It was reported there were 273 unclaimed bodies at City Mortary, Mbagathi and Mama Lucy hospital morgues .
City Hall will run an advert in the dailies in the course of the week about the planned disposal of the bodies at City Mortuary.
In September, suspended Health executive Mohammed Dagane raised concern over the increasing number of unclaimed bodies at the county’s health facilitates.
Dagane said some of the bodies might have been abandoned by relatives unable to clear hospital bills.
“There should be no cases of unclaimed bodies in health facilities because these are patients who had been admitted there and have passed away. In cases where the clients cannot raise the bills, they raise the same to the relevant hospital as well as seeking a waiver to be allowed to collect the bodies,” he said.