The United States government will provide $8 million in funding towards control of the locust invasion in Kenya,Somalia and Ethiopia.
U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made this announcement early this week.
“The United States is providing $8M in additional funding to support regional locust control operations in Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia,” said Pompeo in the joint press conference with Ethiopian Foreign Minister Gedu Andargachew.
This comes a few days after FAO asked for immediate response from International Communities.
The worst outbreak of #desertlocusts in decades is currently underway in the #HornofAfrica.@FAODG QU Dongyu & @UNReliefChief Mark Lowcock are calling on the international community to respond with speed & generosity while we still have a chance 👇 https://t.co/0lPIcpyago
— FAO (@FAO) February 12, 2020
“There also other countries at risk, especially South Sudan, Uganda, Eritrea…,” said Bukar Tijani, assistant director-general of the FAO’s agriculture and consumer protection department.
.@WFPChief David Beasley is right!
— FAO Director-General QU Dongyu (@FAODG) February 14, 2020
FAO said at least one locust swarm had already been seen in Eritrea, and several had also been sighted in Oman and Yemen.